Man arrested in Carlisle rape inquiry
Published at 11:37, Sunday, 18 March 2012
A man has been arrested on suspicion of rape after a woman was attacked in an alley.
Police today confirmed a 43-year-old suspect was in custody following an investigation launched after an assault in Carlisle city centre at the weekend.
The attack happened between 11pm on Saturday and the early hours of yesterday off Aglionby Street.
An inquiry was launched and officers yesterday taped off the alley, which leads from Aglionby Street onto neighbouring Brunswick Street.
Officers later said they wanted to appeal to people who were in this part of the city or drinking in nearby bars – particularly the Border Rambler on Botchergate or Gallagher’s on St Nicholas Street – to come forward if they had information.
Aglionby Street is close to the bars and nightclubs of Botchergate.
Police said the woman was being supported by trained officers and helping police.
A force statement said: “A dedicated team of detectives have been conducting a number of inquiries.
“Police can confirm that detectives have arrested a 43-year-old local man on suspicion of rape.
“The man remains in police custody and is helping police with their inquiries.”
Anyone with any information can contact Carlisle CID on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)