Man arrested in Carlisle rape inquiry
Published at 11:37, Sunday, 18 March 2012
A man has been arrested on suspicion of rape after a woman was attacked in an alley.
Police today confirmed a 43-year-old suspect was in custody following an investigation launched after an assault in Carlisle city centre at the weekend.
The attack happened between 11pm on Saturday and the early hours of yesterday off Aglionby Street.
An inquiry was launched and officers yesterday taped off the alley, which leads from Aglionby Street onto neighbouring Brunswick Street.
Officers later said they wanted to appeal to people who were in this part of the city or drinking in nearby bars – particularly the Border Rambler on Botchergate or Gallagher’s on St Nicholas Street – to come forward if they had information.
Aglionby Street is close to the bars and nightclubs of Botchergate.
Police said the woman was being supported by trained officers and helping police.
A force statement said: “A dedicated team of detectives have been conducting a number of inquiries.
“Police can confirm that detectives have arrested a 43-year-old local man on suspicion of rape.
“The man remains in police custody and is helping police with their inquiries.”
Anyone with any information can contact Carlisle CID on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (8 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)