Man, 38, arrested after second attack at Carlisle rugby club
Last updated at 10:06, Tuesday, 05 June 2012
A man questioned by police over a brutal attack on a linesman at Carlisle Rugby Club suffered a broken jaw after being assaulted himself, the News & Star understands.
Police have now arrested a 38-year-old man from Cockermouth in connection with the second attack at the Warwick Road club, Carlisle. He was arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm after the incident on March 31.
He has been placed on police bail until Friday while inquiries continue.
Police have confirmed that the arrest is linked to an earlier serious assault which left linesman Mike Ray, 58, of North View, Aspatria with a broken nose and badly shaken. A man in the crowd climbed over the barrier and punched the linesman as 250 spectators looked on while Carlisle were trailing by 11 points in a crucial clash with Aspatria.
It is understood that the man questioned by police over the alleged linesman attack sustained the broken jaw.
A police spokeswoman said: “Significant inquiries have been progressed to date. Officers have been making local enquiries, spoken to several witnesses and have been in contact with both rugby clubs.
“The investigation is complex and we are continuing to appeal for witnesses.”
The game was temporarily stopped during the incident.
One other man was interviewed under caution during the course of the investigation but, to date, police have only made one arrest.
If anyone has information that can help police, contact Sergeant Claire Sampson on 101.
First published at 08:58, Tuesday, 05 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)