Maltese sex claims of Lockerbie bomber revealed
Last updated at 11:01, Monday, 05 March 2012
Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi claimed he was only in Malta to have sex.
Reports claim the Libyan, who was jailed for life following the bombing of Pam-Am flight 103, told investigators he travelled to the island regularly for sex.
The suitcase in which the bomb was hidden was loaded on in Malta.
Megrahi's claims came as he tried to explain his presence in Malta to investigators, and are detailed in documents which, reports claim, have just come to light
The Lockerbie bomb claimed the lives of 270 people on the flight and on the ground.
In 2009, Megrahi was returned to Libya on compassionate grounds sufferuing from inoperable prostate cancer.
He has always claimed that he was innocent.
In the documents, Megrahi claims he was able to visit and leave Malta without a passport or identification because of his position at Libyan Arab Airlines.
Investigators discovered he had a mistress in Malta whom he may have visited twice in December, 1988 - including the night before the bombing.
He told them he could not have sex with his wife and had had sex with the woman on a number of occasions over several years, until 1989 or 1990.
First published at 10:59, Monday, 05 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (22 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (118 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (58 comments)