Main north Cumbrian road blocked after crash
Last updated at 12:53, Tuesday, 07 August 2012
Three people escaped without serious injury following a crash on a main north Cumbrian road today.
Two of them were travelling in a white System Group van when it was in collision with a green Merlo dumper on the A596.
Firefighters had to cut the roof off the van to free one of the casualties.
Its driver, a 23-year-old from Carlisle, was taken to the city's Cumberland Infirmary with non-life threatening injuries.
The driver of the dumper, a 58-year-old man from Wigton, escaped unharmed.
A Fiat 500 car, which was behind one of the vehicles, managed to stop just before the collision, which happened between Wigton and Waverton, west of the silloth junction, just before 9am.
Its driver, a woman aged 44 from Carlisle, was also not hurt.
The crash caused the road, which was littered with debris, to be shut. It reopened soon after 12pm.
One eyewitness said the scene was busy with police, fire and other emergency service workers were involved.
The casualties were treated by paramedics after being released.
Motorists were asked to avoid the area and use the A595 instead.
First published at 09:33, Tuesday, 07 August 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbria police pledge crackdown on illegal sale of weapons (1 comment)
- September decision on whether Americans will continue to run Sellafield (2 comments)
- 28 new housing sites in Carlisle unveiled (12 comments)
- National restaurant company eyeing Carlisle's Hoopers building (19 comments)
- Hope buyer can be found for Carlisle pub (7 comments)
- Families asked to scatter ashes on Lake District fells - not leave boxes (2 comments)
- Allerdale needs 200 affordable homes a year to help first time buyers (12 comments)
- Plans to cut speed limit on Carlisle road to 40mph (27 comments)
- Cumbria police used bus full of children as roadblock to stop car (57 comments)
- Anger as new homes approved despite 300 objections (42 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|