Main north Cumbrian road blocked after crash
Last updated at 12:53, Tuesday, 07 August 2012
Three people escaped without serious injury following a crash on a main north Cumbrian road today.
Two of them were travelling in a white System Group van when it was in collision with a green Merlo dumper on the A596.
Firefighters had to cut the roof off the van to free one of the casualties.
Its driver, a 23-year-old from Carlisle, was taken to the city's Cumberland Infirmary with non-life threatening injuries.
The driver of the dumper, a 58-year-old man from Wigton, escaped unharmed.
A Fiat 500 car, which was behind one of the vehicles, managed to stop just before the collision, which happened between Wigton and Waverton, west of the silloth junction, just before 9am.
Its driver, a woman aged 44 from Carlisle, was also not hurt.
The crash caused the road, which was littered with debris, to be shut. It reopened soon after 12pm.
One eyewitness said the scene was busy with police, fire and other emergency service workers were involved.
The casualties were treated by paramedics after being released.
Motorists were asked to avoid the area and use the A595 instead.
First published at 09:33, Tuesday, 07 August 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking shake-up in historic area of Carlisle (9 comments)
- Speed limit lowered on Carlisle bypass 'rat runs' (9 comments)
- Lee Evans to perform gig in Cumbria (37 comments)
- Warning road closure could kill off trade in Cumbrian town (11 comments)
- Cumbria's 40,000 potholes will cost millions to repair (30 comments)
- Ex-Carlisle mayor boycotts Civic Centre 'party' in play park protest (20 comments)
- Northern Lights above Cumbria (5 comments)
- Equipment being ripped out of Carlisle play areas (52 comments)
- Main Carlisle road to close for work on new housing estate (42 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)