Long-time user denies heroin supply charge
Last updated at 12:37, Friday, 25 July 2014
A man who is on trial for allegedly being involved in heroin dealing told police that he had been using the drug for the last 17 or 18 years.
Wayne McCulloch, 34, of Springlea Caravan Park, Allonby, denies being concerned in the supply of the drug and possessing it with an intention to supply.
At Carlisle Crown Court, the jury heard a transcript of his interview with police after officers raided the Workington home he shared with his partner.
The officers initially asked him about visitors who were seen going to the property in Moss Bay Road, which was raided by police and where they had found “a large” amount of heroin.
He told them he had only lived there for a week, and explained: “I get odd waifs and strays. It’s on the main road – do you know what I mean? Just mates – associates.”
The officers then asked McCullock if he was taking drugs, and he replied: “Yes, I do take heroin.”
He said he had taken the drug for 17 or 18 years and he described his habit at the time as “terrible”. He injected the drug into his groin.
The officers then quizzed McCulloch about the amount of heroin he would use in a typical week, and the defendant told them he usually took a half gram dose about three times every week. The officers suggested he was spending between £500 and £600 a month on heroin, though his benefits were about £140 a week.
He told officers the heroin he had was for just him. McCulloch spoke also of the effect of the drug on him, saying how he just wanted to sleep and not get up.
Earlier in the trial, prosecutor Brendan Burke told the court how the defendant’s partner Cheryl Parker had already pleaded guilty to same charges that McCulloch was now facing.
Mr Burke said the two were “in it together”.
The trial continues.
First published at 12:34, Friday, 25 July 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)