Llama baby stuns Cumbrian hotel staff
Last updated at 12:09, Monday, 04 February 2013
A new llama has been born for the first time at a Lake District hotel – and her arrival took everyone by surprise.
The baby llama was born at the Gilpin Hotel, which has had a small herd of the animals for years, but no-one knew the mother was pregnant.
Managing director Barney Cunliffe said: “Although the gestation period for llamas is 350 days, it is notoriously hard to know when a llama is pregnant.
“Her arrival was a complete surprise, but she seems happy and healthy, and we’re getting her checked out to be on the safe side.”
He said they were now watching the other females “very closely” as they have been advised that one or more of them may also be pregnant.
The hotel has had llamas for five years but the new arrival is the first birth.
The hotel at Windermere is also asking people to submit suggestions for a name for the new llama via their Facebook page www.facebook.com/TheGilpin
First published at 11:40, Monday, 04 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|