REPLAY: Carlisle council and Copeland mayor referendum results
Last updated at 06:02, Friday, 23 May 2014
The News & Star is running a live blog to announce results for today’s Carlisle City Council election results as they come in.
Counting is taking place at the Sands Centre.
Labour is defending a majority, with leaders hoping it can increase its current 28 members. The Conservatives are looking to regain some standing after losing control of the council in 2012.
Ukip is fielding candidates in 17 seats. The Liberal Democrats hope to preserve their three councillors, while the Green Party and Trade Unionists and Socialists Against Cuts are competing in a number of wards.
It is expected that results will be announced from 1am Friday onwards.
Elections are being held in Belah, Belle Vue, Botcherby, Brampton, Castle, Currock, Dalston, Denton Holme, Harraby, Longtown & Rockcliffe, Morton, St Aidans, Stanwix Rural, Stanwix Urban, Upperby, Wetheral and Yewdale wards.
Four councillors are retiring, meaning there are guaranteed to be new members in their seats.
European elections and parish council elections are also running today.
Across the city there are 118 stations available for European elections and city council elections, 25 stations for European elections only and two polling stations for local, European and Dalston parish council elections.
Currently the city council has 28 Labour members, 18 Conservative members, three Liberal Democrats and three independent councillors, each of whom serve one of 22 wards.
First published at 15:47, Thursday, 22 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)