Lingerie shop in Carlisle city centre to close
Published at 12:47, Friday, 15 August 2014
Lingerie chain La Senza is closing its Carlisle city centre store.
Its six members of staff have been told that the shop will stop trading from August 25, with their redundancy coming into force three days later.
Marnixheath Limited, trading in the UK as La Senza and Pinkberry, officially went into administration on July 1.
So far, the majority of La Senza shops to be closed have been in the London area, with the Bromley shop scheduled to cease trading at the same time as Carlisle.
Despite the loss, city council leader Colin Glover insists that Carlisle remains buoyant – admitting that feelings of confidence are high and that the city is “punching above its weight”.
He said: “It is always a disappointment when a particular store closes, so we are very sorry to lose this one – and right in the city centre.
“On the positive side though, the reports coming in are that there is strong demand for units in Carlisle. The retail environment is constantly evolving: as one site closes, another takes it as an opportunity.”
Mr Glover added: “The good news is that although the trading environment is fragile, the confidence in Carlisle is fairly strong, so we really would hope those employees [of La Senza] find employment quickly.”
Looking at the city as a whole, he revealed that there have already been positive additions in recent weeks.
Mr Glover said the news that toy shop chain The Entertainer is coming to Carlisle was an especially welcome boost, as they have taken over four empty units beneath the Crown & Mitre Hotel in English Street.
“We understand they are aiming to be open for Christmas, which is fantastic,” he added.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)