Legal challenge to Taste Cumbria food festival thrown out of court
Published at 11:10, Saturday, 29 March 2014
A man's legal challenge to a Cumbrian food festival has been thrown out by a High Court judge.
Christopher Lasper, of Limetree Crescent, Cockermouth, brought the challenge against Taste Cumbria, an annual event held in the town which focuses on the county’s produce.
He wrote to Allerdale council in October saying the event was unlawful due to terms of the market licence, with the threat of legal action.
Unhappy with a response from the authority, he went on to start proceedings for a judicial review.
But this has been thrown out by judges at Manchester High Court.
Mr Lasper has also been denied permission to take the case to the Court of Appeal.
A spokesman for the borough council said: “We hope this latest High Court decision will now put an end to this long-running and unnecessary dispute which has involved many hours of staff time and lengthy legal processes.
“Taste Cumbria is a huge success story for west Cumbria and last year brought an estimated 20,000 visitors here and generated £1.9m for the local economy. We hope the festival, which is a fantastic showcase for the area, can now go ahead unimpeded.”
Mr Lasper has made several other legal challenges against the festival in the past.
In 2011 an attempt to challenge Cumbria County Council’s right to close a street for the event was thrown out.
In addition, Mr Lasper was also told he could not issue legal proceedings without permission from a judge because the cost of “unmeritous litigation” was met by the taxpayer.
Taste Cumbria has taken place in Cockermouth every year since 2010.
It has attracted a number of celebrity chefs, including the Hairy Bikers and James Martin.
The organisers are also involved in year-round activities to promote local food, ranging from public relations to political lobbying.
For more information visit www.tastecumbria.com.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (5 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (25 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (17 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (39 comments)
- Carlisle residents too scared to walk down road without footpath (20 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (53 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (33 comments)
- Call for action after crash at accident 'blackspot' near Carlisle (29 comments)
Court & crime
- Teenage motorist caught in Carlisle nearly three times drink-drive limit
- Carlisle driver so drunk he didn’t recall getting into car
- Carlisle man's £279 bill after damaging £29 pillow in police cell
- Carlisle arsonist told to expect jail for endangering her parents lives
- Party man left fighting for life after being stabbed in stomach
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Chef who hanged himself faced trial for four child sex charges
- Late show fells Millom
- Dalton zoo boss brings seasonal cheer with free admission
- BOMB TEAM CALLED TO SEASCALE BEACH
- Names found for the classmates of 1952
- Holker rock Blackpool
- Dowdales school
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Help your pet to enjoy summer
- Fire boss grilled over future of Dalton fire station