Chubby Brown's 'offensive' show banned from Egremont 

SHARE THIS STORY
Roy 'Chubby' Brown
Roy 'Chubby' Brown
17 March 2016 9:31AM

CONTROVERSIAL comedian Roy 'Chubby' Brown has been banned from bringing his "offensive" show to Egremont by local councillors. 

At a meeting last night, Egremont Town Council decided the comic's October gig was too "inappropriate" for the Market Hall.

Angry members of the public are already signing an online petition.

Over 250 tickets had already been sold for the event - which was for over-18s only - leading Chubby's agent Steven Lloyd to vow never to bring an act to the town.


Petition: https://www.change.org/p/egremont-town-council-let-chubby-brown-do-his-show-in-egremont/c/415311482


He said: "I'm annoyed. We could have organised other shows for that night. I'll make sure we never play Egremont again. It was 3/4 sold out, we've sold over 250 tickets. I'll be trying to overturn it." 

It is believed the decision to cancel will mean roughly £5,500 worth of tickets will have to be refunded.

Concerns were raised by councillor Sam Pollen after members of the public had questioned the booking's appropriateness. 

He said: "Our clerk and staff do a fantastic job keeping the Market Hall busy. But there is an act coming in October and people have asked me if it is appropriate in a family centre. It is adult humour, and it is offensive to many adults too." 

The decision to cancel 'Chubby's' gig went to a vote. With councillors split 4-4, chairman Michael McVeigh got the final say. He voted to stop the show. Also voting against were Lena Hogg and John Burns. 

However, other councillors were disappointed with the call believing it was censorship. "There are as many people who like it as don't like it. It's a personal choice. It's going to stop a lot of other acts coming, that agent has some big acts," said Coun Leigh Mossop. 

The 71-year-old comedian was set to play the Market Hall on Wednesday, October 12. 

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Kerry   Manson , whitehaven Saturday, 19 March, 2016 at 7:58PM
This is awful. consider how much money would come to local business. After the show, people would go to the pub, get food or even book a B&B in this area. We need to change our councillors.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Robert   Valley , Gosforth Thursday, 17 March, 2016 at 6:13PM
The Labour councillors that carried out this vote should hang their heads in shame. Censorship is dictatorship. It makes me wonder how many times down the years that this rabble of wannabe politicians have tried to ride roughshod over the public by making up their own rules. Here we have a group of individuals that believe they are big fish in a small pond. 
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Elvin   Jarvis , maryport Thursday, 17 March, 2016 at 5:55PM
It's your choice to go and watch the show if you find roy offensive then don't buy a ticket His last dvd was filmed in Workington and he was realy good and is due back later this year and was excellent at carlisle in January also the man raises alot of money for charity including the carlisle floods.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Ange   Hodgson , Cleator Thursday, 17 March, 2016 at 4:39PM
How many of those councillors who voted for the ban have actually seen his act? It's a lot cleaner than many conversations you'll overhear on the streets of Egremont! WHATEVER HAPPENED TO FREE SPEECH?
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Mike   Beckett , Whitehaven Thursday, 17 March, 2016 at 1:21PM
I'm glad the council have stud up and said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. The Egremont Market Hall doesn't want to associated with Chubby's brand of comedy, and if you still want to see him you can still go to Workington.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Bob   Smith , Egremont Thursday, 17 March, 2016 at 11:19AM
Whatever next - banning 'Oasis' because the brothers are publicly offensive to reporters and other artists..... or would Egremont Town Council ban Richard Ashcroft (The Verve) because he sings about 'Drugs not working', how about banning Ozzy Osborne because of his staged bat head eating! If Michael Jackson was still alive - would Egremont Town Council ban him and anyone that plays his music?? All controversial - but hey this is entertainment, these people are artists and actors - and its up to personal choice and freedom of speech - there is Political Correctness and then their is HUMOUR - Get with the times Cllr's McVeigh, Pollen, Hogg and Burns - YOU have abused your power and you should know better - Labour Dinosaurs!
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Wrong   Choice , Not Egremont Thursday, 17 March, 2016 at 10:33AM
Sorry councillors, you're wrong on this one. It is clearly marked as over 18 and everyone who planned to go knew what to expect. Exactly who do you think you're protecting?? People who "voiced concerns" wouldn't go, under 18's can't go..... Treat people like adults for goodness sake.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
ray   , Thursday, 17 March, 2016 at 2:35AM
obviously old fuddy duddies on the council there. the answer is simple - allow the show but DONT go if it offends you. theres plenty other people that it doesnt offend. Last thing these fuddy duddies will want is everyone boycotting all future events at the old hall.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
sopwith   , Workington Wednesday, 16 March, 2016 at 7:34PM
Chubby banned? Quite right too. I've been to Egremont and know the people there are very genteel. They never tell smutty jokes or swear. And neither do the councillors. The main street is like a scene from Jane Austin!
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
David   David , Egremont Wednesday, 16 March, 2016 at 6:45PM
We are told what we can watch in our town hall. This is a personal choice to go. Get with the times councillors. I hope that when the local elections come around people remember what a bad decision you have made. Guess he will go back to Allerdale again and we miss out.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
dekko   lavery , workington Wednesday, 16 March, 2016 at 5:11PM
what a lot of socialist hypocrites,,chubbys no worse than the filth that comes with your left wing luvvies on television,,,brand and ross spring to mind,and to think our obscene council tax has gone up to pay these
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
RVasey   Local , Town for Local People Wednesday, 16 March, 2016 at 4:02PM
Mad ,if you don't like his show don't go and see it. 
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
ken   holmes , cumbria Wednesday, 16 March, 2016 at 3:39PM
Well done town council. This is just what the people need.....you lot showing how committed to Egremont you really are........ If the show was seen to be offensive by the public they would not go..........I hope they go to  the next election and rid Egremont of its oh so moral council. Next you will be complaining of a lack of Artistes willing to play at Egremont...I hope. I cannot believe it.. Some find men dressing as ladies and girls pretending to be men as offensive Bet you don't ban the Pantomime
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Eric   Armstrong , Wigton Wednesday, 16 March, 2016 at 2:41PM
If easily offended stay away. What right has this council got to act as nannies to adults. Let's face it, the venue belongs to the rate payers, not to the councillors.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know