Lake District road to close for emergency repairs
Last updated at 17:51, Friday, 07 February 2014
The main road into Borrowdale from Keswick is to be closed for emergency repair work from Monday morning.
The B5289, which skirts along the east of Derwentwater and is the main access road for communities along Borrowdale including Grange, Rosthwaite and Seatoller, will have to be closed both ways at the point where the side road climbs up to Watendlath.
A Cumbria County Council highways team had been attempting to carry out £60,000 repair work on a retaining wall at the side of the road.
However, once the team started the work, the road's saturated foundations began to fall away.
The road is now likely to be closed to traffic for about six weeks from 10am on Monday. Only pedestrians and dismounted cyclists and horseriders will be able to pass through while work is ongoing.
The official diversion is over Honister Pass and then via Buttermere, Lorton and Whinlatter.
Increased traffic along the back road via Portinscale and underneath Cat Bells to Grange is anticipated and "there will be increased vigilance for unsuitably parked cars blocking this popular tourist road" says the council.
First published at 17:43, Friday, 07 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|