Lake District avalanche warning
Last updated at 17:01, Saturday, 15 February 2014
A warning has been issued about the high risk of an avalanche in the Cumbrian fells.
Patterdale Mountain Rescue Team says several metres of snow have been reported at Raise, in the Lake District.
They tweeted today: "Five metres of snow on Raise. Ski tow and hut buried. Avalanche risk in the area high."
The Lake District Ski Club operates a 360 metre button tow on Raise, next to Helvellyn.
Meanwhile the Met Office has issued a yellow weather warning for ice in Cumbria and south west Scotland covering from 8pm Saturday until 10am Sunday.
Severe weather closed a number of high pass roads in Cumbria yesterday.
More wintry showers are forecast on the fells tomorrow.
First published at 11:14, Saturday, 15 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)