Labour win county council by-election in Carlisle
Last updated at 11:02, Friday, 11 April 2014
Labour have held onto a Carlisle seat in a county by-election.
Christine Bowditch was elected to represent the Belle Vue ward on Cumbria County Council last night.
She secured nearly 46 per cent of the votes, ahead of Conservative candidate Nigel Christian with more than 35 per cent and UKIP’s John Stanyer with 19 per cent.
She polled 565 votes, Mr Christian (Conservative) 435 and Mr Stanyer 234. Turn-out was 25.8 per cent.
The result means Cumbria County Council now has of 36 Labour members, 26 Conservative members, 15 Liberal Democrat members, two west Cumbria Independent members and five Independent councillors non-aligned.
The by-election was held following the death of Belle Vue’s Labour county councillor Ian Stockdale last year.
First published at 09:09, Friday, 11 April 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (5 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (133 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (45 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (17 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Cumbria's children's service still failing (42 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|