Labour win county council by-election in Carlisle
Last updated at 11:02, Friday, 11 April 2014
Labour have held onto a Carlisle seat in a county by-election.
Christine Bowditch was elected to represent the Belle Vue ward on Cumbria County Council last night.
She secured nearly 46 per cent of the votes, ahead of Conservative candidate Nigel Christian with more than 35 per cent and UKIP’s John Stanyer with 19 per cent.
She polled 565 votes, Mr Christian (Conservative) 435 and Mr Stanyer 234. Turn-out was 25.8 per cent.
The result means Cumbria County Council now has of 36 Labour members, 26 Conservative members, 15 Liberal Democrat members, two west Cumbria Independent members and five Independent councillors non-aligned.
The by-election was held following the death of Belle Vue’s Labour county councillor Ian Stockdale last year.
First published at 09:09, Friday, 11 April 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|