Labour win county council by-election in Carlisle
Last updated at 11:02, Friday, 11 April 2014
Labour have held onto a Carlisle seat in a county by-election.
Christine Bowditch was elected to represent the Belle Vue ward on Cumbria County Council last night.
She secured nearly 46 per cent of the votes, ahead of Conservative candidate Nigel Christian with more than 35 per cent and UKIP’s John Stanyer with 19 per cent.
She polled 565 votes, Mr Christian (Conservative) 435 and Mr Stanyer 234. Turn-out was 25.8 per cent.
The result means Cumbria County Council now has of 36 Labour members, 26 Conservative members, 15 Liberal Democrat members, two west Cumbria Independent members and five Independent councillors non-aligned.
The by-election was held following the death of Belle Vue’s Labour county councillor Ian Stockdale last year.
First published at 09:09, Friday, 11 April 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)