Knifeman spared prison sentence by Carlisle court
Last updated at 11:11, Monday, 31 March 2014
A man who was carrying a knife in public has been spared an immediate prison sentence.
Karl Carnochan, 31, pulled the blade from his back pocket and “messed about with it” while out with his girlfriend after a row broke when they came across two other people.
But a judge accepted he did not produce the blade to cause intimidation and was not carrying it for any sinister reason.
Carnochan, of Yeathouse Road, Frizington, was given a two-month jail sentence, suspended for a year, at Carlisle Crown Court after admitting having a blade on May 4 last year.
The court heard Carnochan and his girlfriend were walking a dog on a path leading to Cleator Moor and had taken with them “a substantial quantity of alcohol”.
They came across two other people and there was a row. At one point Carnochan, who was drunk, removed the knife from his back pocket.
The court was told he had been cleared by a jury last month of threatening a person with a blade or pointed article. But he had admitted having the knife and was sentenced for this offence.
The judge, Miss Recorder Abigail Hudson, said: “Had a fight erupted anyone of the four of you could have been injured. I accept that you did not produce that weapon to intimidate and I accept you had it for no sinister reason. None of that is an excuse for carrying it and carrying it while drunk.”
Carnochan was given a 12-months supervision order and a two month 9pm to 7am curfew. He must pay £340 costs.
First published at 11:10, Monday, 31 March 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- New report tells how Talkin Tarn could become self-financing (10 comments)
- Fight to block £20 parking charge stepped up by campaigners (21 comments)
- New headline act for Carlisle's Christmas festivities (14 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator (11 comments)
- Carlisle star Matt Pagan gutted as Collabro Xmas lights switch-on called off (34 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (83 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (56 comments)
- Work to start 'within weeks' on new supermarket in Carlisle (22 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (13 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Crarey to build Barrow Raiders team around Campbell (2 comments)
- Could overcrowding and fare hikes derail our train service?
- Workington clubbers rave as Madisons reunion event sells out (3 comments)
- Ulverston store developer tells of ‘frustrating time’ (50 comments)
- Cumbrian mum reveals ordeal of son abandoned in Kuwait by security firm