KFC says no to new restaurant in Cumbrian town
Last updated at 08:15, Thursday, 28 March 2013
The fast food chain KFC has revealed that it will not be opening a new restaurant in Workington this year.
The news will be a blow just days after the town’s HMV store closed its doors for the last time with the loss of 10 jobs.
The popular food outlet announced two years ago that it wanted to open an outlet in the town centre and submitted plans for a restaurant and drive-through opposite Morrisons Supermarket at Derwent Drive Retail Park.
But in September 2011, four months after submitting a planning application to Allerdale Council, it withdrew the proposal saying that it would be resubmitted – but it never was.
The company vowed to still come to the town and said it was looking for other suitable locations and the public was even asked to suggest possible places.
Earlier this year the firm said that although a suitable site had not yet been found, the company was still “very keen” on moving to Workington and was looking at possible locations.
But a KFC spokeswoman has now revealed this would not be happening in the near future and could not give any more information about the company’s intentions.
“KFC will not be opening a restaurant in Workington in 2013,” she said.
However, she pointed out that the firm does still intend to build a new restaurant in Workington but the projected date would not include a possible opening this year.
When plans were first revealed at Workington, it was envisaged the opening of KFC would create around 40 jobs, and have an annual turnover of around £620,000.
Allerdale councillor Christine Smith, who like her husband represents the All Saints Ward in Cockermouth, said: “Alan and I both like KFC. The nearest one is in Carlisle, which is a long way away. There are a few premises empty in the main street [in Workington] so if they could open there it would be ideal. A lot of people love KFC, and I’d like to see them go ahead with this new restaurant as soon as possible.”
Moss Bay Cumbria county councillor Barbara Cannon said she too was disappointed that the chain would not be opening a business locally this year.
She said: “There are a lot of people looking for work and that’s 40 jobs which would have been available.”
First published at 08:11, Thursday, 28 March 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
coming from a town with TWO KFC.s imiss the weekly chicken feast lots of room in cockermouth including a towncentre disused garage would make ideal Drive through PLEASE
The only benefit would have been jobs. Why the obsession with greasy heart attack on a plate food in this area? How do we ever educate our kids that a food treat isn't something which will bring future ill health and misery as an aside? Shame on the councillers for not considering future health of the young before supporting another plastic food outlet for our town.
View all 14 comments on this article