Jobs boost as window firm plans to expand in Cumbria
Last updated at 11:35, Saturday, 28 December 2013
The proposed expansion of a factory brings welcome news of a new year jobs boost.
Home improvements firm Carlisle Window Systems wants to expand its factory on the city’s Durranhill Industrial Estate.
It will be the latest phase of expansion for the firm which had a modest start almost 20 years ago in the city centre’s Robert Street.
Papers submitted to Carlisle City Council state that the proposed extension at its Stephenson Road plant would give the firm more storage space for its operations.
The company already employs 54 people but it is proposed that number could rise to 65.
Councillor Cyril Weber, who represents the Harraby ward on Carlisle City Council, said: “Proposals for an expansion like this are warmly welcomed. Creating jobs at a local firm like this is always great news, let’s hope we have more of them in the new year.”
Carlisle Window Systems, founded by Stuart Thompson and Jock Kelly, has been trading for almost 20 years but the experience of its directors stretches much further back.
It has a multi-million pound turnover from its manufacture of windows, doors, conservatories, automated garage doors and shutters.
The company moved to its current Durranhill Industrial Estate site three years ago, opening a 24,000sq ft factory and creating six new jobs. The opening was performed by Mary Styth, who was the mayor of Carlisle at the time.
Two years ago more jobs were created when the firm expanded into the solar panels market.
First published at 11:12, Saturday, 28 December 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (5 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (133 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (45 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (17 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Cumbria's children's service still failing (42 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|