Joanna Lumley backs campaign against Scottish independence
Published at 11:16, Saturday, 26 July 2014
Actress Joanna Lumley is backing a Cumbria-led campaign against Scottish independence.
The Absolutely Fabulous star has come out in support of the Auld Acquaintance cairn being created on the England-Scotland border at Gretna.
It’s being built as part of a push spearheaded by Penrith and the Border MP Rory Stewart ahead of Scotland going to the polls in an independence referendum in September.
Lumley has close links to Dumfriesshire and has been a key player in a charity formed to save the house said to have inspired JM Barrie to write Peter Pan in Dumfries.
She will be at the cairn to meet those behind it and show her support by bringing stones from her garden to add to it on Thursday.
On Monday, legendary explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes will visit to lend his support to the campaign.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)