Jail sentence cut for Cumbrian dad who smoked cannabis in public
Last updated at 12:21, Thursday, 31 January 2013
A dad who was jailed after being caught smoking cannabis in public will soon be eligible for release after seeing his sentence slashed by appeal judges.
Deri George Hendren, of Workington, was subject to a suspended sentence for an earlier cannabis offence when he was spotted by police brazenly smoking a joint in the town last October.
He admitted possessing the drug and was jailed for a total of 30 weeks at Carlisle Crown Court when a judge decided to activate his suspended sentence.
The sentence has now been slashed to 20 weeks at the Court of Appeal, paving the way for imminent release on licence after serving half of his term in jail.
Mr Justice Holroyde told the court that Hendren, 27, of Fisher Street, already had a long list of convictions for dishonesty and drugs crime.
In April last year, he got a suspended sentence and was ordered to undergo drug rehabilitation after he was charged with possessing cannabis with intent to supply. He was less than six months into the period of the suspended sentence when he was spotted by police officers smoking the cannabis joint in the street.
He admitted having smoked the drugs.
His lawyers argued at the appeal hearing before Mr Justice Holroyde, Lord Justice Hughes and Mr Justice Hickinbottom.
Reducing the overall term, Mr Justice Holroyde said he considered the 30 weeks Hendren got for smoking the joint in public was too long.
First published at 12:18, Thursday, 31 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)