Indoor market to open in Maryport
Last updated at 13:14, Friday, 09 November 2012
An indoor market will open at the Carlton in Maryport town centre next week.
The market, with 12 custom-designed stalls, will open at 1pm on Wednesday.
Carlton owner Steve Wood said the market will be officially opened by Lillie-Mai Jackson, the two-year-old from Maryport who lost her legs and an arm to meningitis when she was 14 weeks old. Five per cent of the first day’s takings will go to the fund to raise money for her prosthetic legs.
Mr Wood transferred his china glazing and manufacturing business to Maryport from Stoke four years ago and, with funding from an Allerdale council regeneration scheme, he turned one of Maryport’s major eyesore buildings into a new manufacturing business with a cafe on the ground floor. Within four months the cafe was closed after dry rot was discovered.
He said: “I did sometimes think of walking away but Cumbria is my home now and I am staying.”
Last week Mr Wood received planning approval to build seven apartments on the first and second floors of the Carlton. The indoor market is on the ground floor and a small cafe will be reopened.
First published at 11:42, Friday, 09 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)