Hundreds of homes without power in Carlisle
Last updated at 10:14, Tuesday, 25 February 2014
Hundreds of homes were plunged into darkness and several others were left without water.
Electricity North West was alerted to a high voltage fault which caused a number of power cuts in the CA2 postcode area of south west Carlisle last night (Monday).
The problem was first reported at around 8pm and initially nearly 600 properties were affected.
But engineers managed to re-route the electricity supply and power was restored to all of the affected customers around an hour later.
The CA2 postcode covers the Durdar, Cummersdale and Morton areas of Carlisle.
The power outages also affected a water pumping station cutting supplies off for several households.
United Utilities received 15 calls from people in the Durdar area near Carlisle at around 8.30pm. The firm said there were probably more customers who either had no water or had poor pressure.
An engineer was sent to the pumping station and supplies returned to normal within two hours.
A spokeswoman for United Utilities apologised for the inconvenience and said every effort was made to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
Meanwhile Electricity North West said it was not known what caused the power fault but the problem was due to have been fixed by midnight.
First published at 21:17, Monday, 24 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)