Head-on crash closes A66 in north Cumbria
Last updated at 09:36, Sunday, 04 November 2012
Police are appealing for witnesses after a crash on the A66 left two lorry drivers with serious injuries and forced the road to be closed all day.
A mixture of diesel from a ruptured tank and jam, which was being carried on one of the lorries, hampered the clean-up process.
The accident happened at 6.40am near the Center Parcs holiday park between Penrith and Temple Sowerby. The road did not reopen until 5pm.
The 59-year-old driver of a white Daf HGV from Bradford suffered serious arm injuries and needed surgery after being flown to the James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough by Great North Air Ambulance.
A 27-year-old from Beverley in Yorkshire was driving a Mercedes HGV and also suffered serious injuries.
He was flown by air ambulance to the same hospital.
A Ford Fusion car and a Volvo HGV crashed at the scene soon after the first collision but neither driver was hurt.
Three fire crews from Appleby and Carlisle East attended the scene and used cutting equipment to free the two lorry drivers.
Anyone with information about the accidents should contact the roads policing unit on 101.
First published at 15:33, Saturday, 03 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)