Female teacher accused of having sexual relationship with girl
Last updated at 14:52, Wednesday, 04 June 2014
A female teacher has appeared in court accused of having a sexual relationship with a schoolgirl.
Hayley Louise Southwell, 27, is accused of having intentionally touched the girl sexually when in a position of trust.
Carlisle magistrates heard the offence was committed between May 1 last year and January 17 this year.
Prosecutor John Moran told district judge Gerald Chalk that Southwell, of Egremont, was employed as a teacher.
It is alleged that she had been in a sexual relationship with the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, which started when the girl was under 16.
The court heard Southwell could face 18 months imprisonment if found guilty of the offence.
District Judge Chalk declined jurisdiction of the case, and Southwell, who spoke only to confirm her name and address, was committed to appear at Carlisle Crown Court on June 23.
She did not enter a plea to the charge which she faces.
First published at 12:04, Tuesday, 03 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years