Fabulous acts at best News & Star Community Concert
Last updated at 16:28, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
Cheers and applause greeted the performers as they took to the stage for the 2012 News & Star Community Concert.
Both local and national performers entertained hundreds of older people at Carlisle’s Sands Centre.
The event, which is now in its 41st year, also helped raise money for two good causes.
Jonathan Higgins, arts and entertainment manager of the centre, who produced and directed the show, said: “It has been amazing. This is my sixth year here and it is the best community concert I’ve done.
“There are some really fabulous acts.”
The line up included nationally-renowned singers Chris Black and Roberts N. Ashcroft.
It also featured the best of local young talent like dance troupe Razzamatazz and Austin Friars Jazz Band. All got an enthusiastic response from the audience.
“I heard lots of whooping,” said Mr Higgins.
As well as the entertainment on stage, the concert also included a raffle. The crowd were given Christmas treats in the form of mince pies and other seasonal favourites.
It also featured a collection for the News & Star Christmas Toy Appeal, which aims to make sure every child in Cumbria has a present to open on Christmas Day, and the Promise Life campaign, run by our sister title The Cumberland News to raise awareness of organ donation and encourage people to sign the donor register.
Members of the crowd revealed how much they enjoyed the event.
Joan Harrison, from Scaleby, near Carlisle said: “It was very good, the dancers were lovely.”
She was also pleased that the money was going to the two good causes.
Jean Bishop, of Brampton added: “I wish I was as fit as some of those dancing girls.
“I think it is wonderful that they do this.
“I think it is very good we’re supporting the toy appeal, some children in this world are deprived.”
The concert was organised by CN Events, part of the News & Star’s parent company, CN Group.
First published at 12:15, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian bride wins wedding dress battle after death of fiance (10 comments)
- Grey squirrel cull plan in Cumbria (2 comments)
- Drop in pupils offered first choice secondary places in Cumbria (4 comments)
- Barriers going up to keep travellers off Carlisle park (1 comment)
- Carlisle bucks national shopping trend (7 comments)
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (73 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (5 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (31 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|