Four hurt in three-vehicle crash
Last updated at 10:58, Friday, 01 June 2012
Four drivers were injured in a head-on crash that closed one of west Cumbria’s busiest roads.
One man had to be airlifted to hospital following the collision on the A596.
Two others were taken by road ambulance to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle following the crash which happened at one of the busiest times of day, causing disruption for motorists.
The collision - involving a lorry and two cars - happened just after 4pm on West Street in Aspatria, close to the Red Lion pub.
Emergency services closed the A596 while they cut one of the drivers from his car, cleared the scene and started an investigation into its cause.
The driver of a silver Renault car – a 51-year-old man from Wigton – was taken by the Pride of Cumbria air ambulance to hospital in Carlisle. His condition is described as stable.
A 47-year-old man from Maryport and the front-seat passenger of a Vauxhall van, a 30-year-old-man from Workington, were also taken to the infirmary, where they were treated for bruising and whiplash.
The back-seat passenger, a 21-year-old man from Workington, was treated at the scene and released.
The lorry driver, a 72-year-old man from Aspatria, was uninjured.
Police are appealing for witnesses to contact them on 101.
First published at 20:00, Thursday, 31 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|