Forecasters warn of sub-zero temperatures and snow across Cumbria
Published at 17:04, Wednesday, 05 December 2012
Up to 10cm of snow is being forecast to fall in east Cumbria tomorrow prompting the Met Office to issue a yellow warning.
A widespread frost is expected tonight with temperatures in the county set to be between -3C and -7C.
Drivers have been urged to prepare for rain falling on sub-zero surfaces or surfaces re-freezing after the rain has moved on.
Rain is forecast tomorrow morning with intermittent spells of sleet or snow, including at lower levels.
The greatest risk of disruption to transport is liable to be across east Cumbria where up to 10cm of snow is possible on ground above 300m.
The higher trans-Pennine routes out of the county and the Kirkstone Pass and Kendal to Shap routes are at risk.
More rain is likely during Thursday evening with sleet or snow higher up and the possibility of additional snow, typically above 250-300m.
Motorists are advised to check their vehicle's tyre pressure, reduce speed where necessary and avoid sharp braking.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle McVitie's staff reject changes to working conditions (63 comments)
- Starlings in Carlisle city centre causing major problems (50 comments)
- 15 people transferred after major incident at north Cumbrian hospitals (99 comments)
- Woods used by 'unsavoury' men for sex chopped down (91 comments)
- Carlisle residents vow to nab speeding drivers (38 comments)
- Unpaid overtime at Cumbrian hospitals rockets (22 comments)
- St Bees School to close (134 comments)
- Battle to recover £500,000 in unpaid council tax in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Row after Cumbrian school refuses to host nuclear meeting (47 comments)
- Carlisle wine shop to close (28 comments)
- Anger over new LED street lighting in Carlisle (59 comments)
Court & crime
- Laying charges at hospital doors (2 comments)
- Looks like Yorkshire made a mi-steak with Jeremy Clarkson (4 comments)
- It’s just the ticket (2 comments)
- Why Brampton-on-Sea doesn’t float my boat
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)