Five-vehicle crash shuts part of M6 in Cumbria
Last updated at 14:34, Saturday, 22 March 2014
A section of the M6 in north Cumbria was blocked following a crash involving a lorry and four cars.
An HGV and four cars were involved in the collision at Mossband, southbound between Gretna and Carlisle, early today.
The cars involved were a Jaguar driven by a man from Fife, a BMW driven by a man from Penrith, a Volkswagen wit a female driver from Lockerbie and a Volvo driven by a woman from Ayrshire, who was also carrying a passenger.
None of the people involved was seriously hurt though one of the women from Ayrshire was taken to The Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle for treatment to a minor chest injury.
The motorway was closed between junctions 46 at Gretna and 45 at Kingstown. Diversions were put in place via the A6071 and A7 through Longtown.
One lane was reopened just after 8.30am with police opening the rest of the road within an hour.
Cumbria police were helped by colleagues from Police Scotland at the scene. Firefighters and ambulance staff also attended.
A force spokesman told the News & Star the incident was being investigated.
He added: "The weather could have played a part."
The spokesman also advised motorists to be careful on the county's roads and drive to suit weather conditions.
First published at 07:51, Saturday, 22 March 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)