Fire damages workshop on La'al Ratty railway
Last updated at 10:02, Wednesday, 05 December 2012
Fire has damaged a paint shop at the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.
Fire crews from Seascale and Bootle were called to the 2,100sq ft workshop at Ravenglass at 4.40pm yesterday. They found it “well alight”.
Watch manager Colin Wilson, of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Fortunately, nobody was injured. There was some internal damage to the building, a couple of windows were out, but nothing too serious.”
The firefighters trained a hose reel jet onto two kerosene tanks to keep them cool and prevent an explosion. The railway blames an electrical fault for the fire.
The building, which was empty, is used to paint locomotives and rolling stock.
General manager Trevor Stockton said the railway was “really grateful” for the fire crews’ prompt action.
None of the collection of narrow-gauge steam and diesel locomotives was damaged.
The railway says there should be no disruption to services, including Santa specials in the run up to Christmas.
First published at 10:01, Wednesday, 05 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)