Fire damages workshop on La'al Ratty railway
Last updated at 10:02, Wednesday, 05 December 2012
Fire has damaged a paint shop at the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.
Fire crews from Seascale and Bootle were called to the 2,100sq ft workshop at Ravenglass at 4.40pm yesterday. They found it “well alight”.
Watch manager Colin Wilson, of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Fortunately, nobody was injured. There was some internal damage to the building, a couple of windows were out, but nothing too serious.”
The firefighters trained a hose reel jet onto two kerosene tanks to keep them cool and prevent an explosion. The railway blames an electrical fault for the fire.
The building, which was empty, is used to paint locomotives and rolling stock.
General manager Trevor Stockton said the railway was “really grateful” for the fire crews’ prompt action.
None of the collection of narrow-gauge steam and diesel locomotives was damaged.
The railway says there should be no disruption to services, including Santa specials in the run up to Christmas.
First published at 10:01, Wednesday, 05 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (8 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)