Fire damages workshop on La'al Ratty railway
Last updated at 10:02, Wednesday, 05 December 2012
Fire has damaged a paint shop at the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.
Fire crews from Seascale and Bootle were called to the 2,100sq ft workshop at Ravenglass at 4.40pm yesterday. They found it “well alight”.
Watch manager Colin Wilson, of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Fortunately, nobody was injured. There was some internal damage to the building, a couple of windows were out, but nothing too serious.”
The firefighters trained a hose reel jet onto two kerosene tanks to keep them cool and prevent an explosion. The railway blames an electrical fault for the fire.
The building, which was empty, is used to paint locomotives and rolling stock.
General manager Trevor Stockton said the railway was “really grateful” for the fire crews’ prompt action.
None of the collection of narrow-gauge steam and diesel locomotives was damaged.
The railway says there should be no disruption to services, including Santa specials in the run up to Christmas.
First published at 10:01, Wednesday, 05 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|