Thursday, 26 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Fire crews tackle blaze in roof of north Cumbrian bungalow

Sixteen firefighters were called to Scotby after a bungalow roof caught fire.

Scotby bungalow fire photo
Firefighters at Park Road, Scotby

Thick smoke could be seen pouring from the roof – and spread as far as the M6 – as firefighters battled to get the flames under control.

Craig Drinkald, fire station manager in Carlisle, said that the early indication was that a log-burning stove could have been the problem.

He said: “People need to make sure they are getting their chimneys checked out.”

The alarm was raised at about 4.20pm and four fire engines, including an aerial ladder platform, were sent from Carlisle and Brampton to Park Road.

When they arrived the occupants – believed to be Cumbrian golfer Greg Waters and his family – were out of the property after noticing the blaze.

Mr Drinkald described it as a severe fire in the roof. He said: “We entered the building using breathing apparatus trying to stop the fire from spreading.”

Firefighters also used ladders, two hose reel jets and compressed air foam to tackle the blaze.

Mr Drinkald said the aerial platform would be used to inspect the roof to make sure the fire was completely out.

Fire investigators were expected to return to the scene today.

Mr Waters declined to comment.


News & Star What's On search


What do you think of rail services in Cumbria?

Good. But there is always room for improvement

Not good: There needs to be much more investment

I rarely travel by rail

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: