Thursday, 03 September 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Fire crews tackle blaze at Carlisle garden centre

A north Cumbrian garden centre was evacuated when a fire broke out this morning.

The incident happened at Houghton Hall Garden Centre in Carlisle, just after 11.30am today.

The fire was on part of the building’s exterior.

Firefighter Mike Clusker said that, despite its small size, it was a difficult fire to put out. It was in a corrugated part of the outside wall, which is foam filled.

However, crews managed to extinguish it.

Two firefighters were sent into the building to remove parts of the ceiling to check for further signs of the blaze. Crews then used a fan to clear smoke from the interior.

The centre was open when the fire started but smoke alarms alerted staff to the blaze and the building was evacuated.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Should the law be strengthened to tackle illegal traveller camps?

Yes. Authorities need to be better able to police this

No. The rights of travellers need to be respected

Not until more officially designated travellers' sites are opened

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: