Fire crews called to house blaze in Carlisle
Last updated at 13:12, Wednesday, 22 January 2014
Firefighters called to a house fire in Carlisle carried out a search of the smoke-filled property – and found a cat hiding in a cupboard.
The terrified pet had sought refuge in an electric meter cupboard.
It was found unharmed as a crew of four firefighters searched the terraced house in Currock Road.
The alarm was raised shortly before 6pm yesterday by neighbour Louise Allen, 19.
She said: “The smoke had gone up into the floor void and it was coming down into our house so we got in touch with the owners.”
Two fire crews from the stations in the east and the west of the city were called out to tackle the blaze.
Inside, they found that the source of the fire was a wood burning stove, the door of which had been left open.
A fire service spokesman said burning material had fallen onto the floor and set fire to the floorboards. “It wasn’t a particularly hot fire, but the property was smoke logged,” he said.
“When we spoke to the occupier he told us that there was a cat inside so we carried out an extensive search.
“We found it hiding in the electric meter cupboard, unharmed.
“Make sure that the doors of your wood burning stove are always shut when you are leaving the property. It’s also important to have a fireproof base.”
The fire crews were at the scene for around two hours. Four firefighters using breathing apparatus went into the property.
First published at 13:11, Wednesday, 22 January 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|