Fire closes Cumbrian school
Last updated at 15:31, Wednesday, 26 February 2014
Pupils were today sent home from a Cumbrian secondary school after fire broke out.
Children and staff had to evacuate Keswick School, on Vicarage Hill, at 11.43am.
Although the fire – on an electrical fuse board – did not spread, it took out the power to the whole of the school.
As a result, a decision was taken to close the school and parents were advised to collect their children at lunchtime.
Engineers are currently on site and hope to have power restored later today.
It is hoped the school will open as usual tomorrow.
A statement on the school website said: “Due to an electrical fire in the schools plant room, we are having to close the school.”
Fire crews from Cockermouth and Keswick were called to the scene, but the fire was out on arrival.
First published at 15:25, Wednesday, 26 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian bride wins wedding dress battle after death of fiance (10 comments)
- Grey squirrel cull plan in Cumbria (2 comments)
- Drop in pupils offered first choice secondary places in Cumbria (4 comments)
- Barriers going up to keep travellers off Carlisle park (1 comment)
- Carlisle bucks national shopping trend (7 comments)
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (73 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (5 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (31 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|