Fire at Carlisle house caused by cigarette, court told
Last updated at 16:31, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
An 18-year-old left clothes smouldering after stubbing out a cigarette.
When police arrived at the house of Anthony Alan Hext, in Scotby Gardens, Carlisle, they found the door open and smoke inside.
Carlisle magistrates heard how the fire alarm was going off and they found a small fire near the cooker.
They put the fire out and contacted Hext, who was renting the house, at his mother’s home.
The court heard how Hext thought he had extinguished the fire and then left.
He now lives in a hostel in John Street. Hext admitted arson and was given a one- year community order. He was also ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £60 victim surcharge.
First published at 16:30, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|