'Extra care' housing scheme given go-ahead for Brampton
Last updated at 13:20, Monday, 23 June 2014
A housing development for senior citizens and the disabled has been given the go-ahead.
Members of Carlisle City Council’s development control committee have approved plans for a complex in Brampton, which will contain 38 ‘extra care’ flats.
They will be built on a site which is currently part of the Irthing Centre – which would be demolished – by Workington-based Impact Housing Association.
They will be targeted at people who are aged 55 or over – or have conditions such as dementia or a learning difficulty – who need attention but want to carry on living independently.
The development of the plans started in 2010.
A planning application to build them was submitted by community group Brampton and Beyond Community Trust last year, following an informal consultation.
It was turned down on grounds including that it would have had an impact on the privacy of neighbouring properties, parking arrangements would not have created a good living environment for residents and the building would have been out of character with other structures.
The group appealed this decision through the Planning Inspectorate but failed to get the decision overturned. Shortly afterwards, the trust announced that Impact would become involved with the project.
The housing association’s architects – Unwin Jones – carried out a redesign on the site. A report to members said this had addressed issues raised and it was passed unanimously.
Councillor Ann Warwick, who represents Upperby, said: “I am pleased with the changes in design because the original design wasn’t going to work. This is much better.”
Heather Bradley, who represents Currock, added: “Developing this type of housing is absolutely essential for this area. We have an aging population that is still comparatively fit and still quite determined to stay in its own home.”
Ray Bloxham, who represents Longtown and Rockcliffe, said they should be ‘very proud’ they had turned down the original plans because “it needed to be redone.”
The land the development will be built on is currently owned by Cumbria County Council. This will be transferred to the community trust who will lease it to Impact.
The project was originally earmarked to cost around £4m, with funding being secured once planning permission was granted but Impact has stated the changes mean it is now likely to cost more than that.
Building work has to begin within three years.
First published at 13:19, Monday, 23 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)