Ex-Cumbrian vicar jailed for sex crimes
Last updated at 15:15, Monday, 19 November 2012
A former Carlisle Cathedral canon who sexually abused three boys has been jailed.
Ronald Johns, 75, used pornographic films and whisky to groom his victims.
At Carlisle Crown Court today, he was sentenced to four years in prison.
He was also ordered to sign the sex offenders' register and was banned from working with children for life.
Earlier, Johns apologised for his crimes.
The court heard about the devastating impact of the abuse on the teenagers he targeted.
One, aged 14 when the abuse began, said: "There was a part of me that died when I was in my teens."
Johns, now living in Coltishall in Norwich, had admitted 10 sexual offences against three boys between 1983 and 1991.
After the sentencing, a diocese spokesperson said: “A prison sentence can never be a matter of pleasure, nor can it put right wrongs that were done, but the sentence given to Ronald Johns today is just and fair and reflects the gravity of his offences.
“We know that those abused can be manipulated by the abuser so that they are the ones who end up feeling guilty, while the abuser attempts to excuse himself. The Diocese of Carlisle therefore hopes that Ronald Johns’ victims will feel that this sentence lays clear the truth: Ronald Johns did wicked things, which were not their fault or responsibility."
And temporary Detective Inspector Gary McFadden, the investigating officer, said: “Johns abused his position of trust to commit heinous crimes against children - and now, almost 20 years on, he has received his punishment."
Johns is a former canon of Carlisle Cathedral but also worked in Liverpool, Borrowdale and Caldbeck.
First published at 13:16, Monday, 19 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Staff devastated after fire destroys part of Cumbrian hospital (1 comment)
- Police warning of fishmonger scam
- Mercy plea from army bosses saves Carlisle soldier from prison
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (22 comments)
- Cumbrian woman banned from 45 shops after stealing £1 milkshake
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)