England star Stokes knocks himself out of World Twenty20
Last updated at 11:50, Saturday, 15 March 2014
England all-rounder Ben Stokes has knocked himself out of the World Twenty20 – after angrily punching a locker and breaking his hand.
The west Cumbrian smashed the locker in frustration after getting out for a first-ball duck in England’s final warm-up game against the West Indies on Thursday.
The injury rules him out of the prestigious competition, which starts in Bangladesh tomorrow, and is a huge blow for England, as Stokes was one of their few successes during a winter of misery for the national side.
The 22-year-old former Cockermouth School pupil admitted his regret.
He said: “I am really disappointed to be missing out on going to a World Twenty20 with England – it was a huge error in judgement following a frustrating tour for me and I deeply regret my behaviour.
“I would like to wish the team all the very best in Bangladesh.”
First published at 11:17, Saturday, 15 March 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)