Eight arrests after string of Cumbrian burglaries
Last updated at 11:10, Friday, 27 June 2014
Police have made eight arrests following a string of burglaries in Workington.
The force confirmed suspects had been held in connection with a number of raids carried out at houses at various streets in the town last month.
Details of the arrests emerged as officers warned people to keep security in mind, particularly during the warmer weather, when burglars often take advantage of opportunities such as open windows.
Police said two of those arrested were on bail while investigations continue. Three were released without charge, while three others have been charged and are going through the court system.
There has been an increase in the targeting of so-called “insecure” homes in west Cumbria in the last two months, with officers saying items were stolen after thieves were able to walk into homes.
Sgt Amanda Conway said: “Gone are the days when you could leave your front door open during the summer weather.
“People need to remember that when they are in the garden they cannot hear who could be walking through their front door.
“Also, leaving ground floor windows open when out of the house provides a potential way for a criminal to gain entry.
“Don’t leave keys, handbags, mobiles or other valuables where they can be easily seen by a potential intruder. It takes less than a minute to lock your door – but to deal with the aftermath of a burglary can take weeks.”
Last year in Cumbria there was a rise in crime in July which was linked to the hot summer, with burglars preying on homes where windows had been left open.
Sgt Conway added: “Our aim is not to spoil the summer but to make it one to remember for the right reasons, not because you were a victim of a burglary.”
Call police for crime prevention advice on 101.
First published at 11:09, Friday, 27 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|