Young mum’s terror at firework attack on her home
Last updated at 16:29, Tuesday, 01 July 2014
A young single mum has spoken of her horror after a lit firework was pushed through her letterbox while she and her toddler daughter were upstairs in bed.
The 24-year-old woman, who does not want to be named for fear of reprisals, had just returned to bed at her home on Dryden Way, Egremont, around 2.30am after tending to her daughter who had woken in the night.
She said: “I’d just gone back to bed after my baby daughter had woken up. I’d not been in bed five minutes when I heard a hissing sound. It was quite loud and then there was a massive bang.
“I sleep with my mobile under my pillow so I grabbed it and dialled 999 then I ran into my daughter’s room, got her and closed the door.
“There was a lot of smoke and the smoke alarms were going off. Once they’d stopped I managed to get downstairs with my little girl and wait in the back garden until the police, fire and paramedics came. There were sniffer dogs too. The investigation is still ongoing.”
She added: “I have a curtain behind my front door and I really didn’t know at first if there was a big fire.
“I felt quite sick afterwards and disturbed that someone’s done that.”
The woman said the carpet by her front door had been burnt, as had the curtain behind it and her letterbox.
“I’m still quite frightened that it’s happened,” she said. “I hope by speaking out someone may come forward with information, particularly if they realise there was a baby in the house at the time.”
Police are investigating the attempted arson incident.
Officers were called to the woman’s house in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
If you can help, call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 16:28, Tuesday, 01 July 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (16 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (37 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (6 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)