Young mum’s terror at firework attack on her home
Last updated at 16:29, Tuesday, 01 July 2014
A young single mum has spoken of her horror after a lit firework was pushed through her letterbox while she and her toddler daughter were upstairs in bed.
The 24-year-old woman, who does not want to be named for fear of reprisals, had just returned to bed at her home on Dryden Way, Egremont, around 2.30am after tending to her daughter who had woken in the night.
She said: “I’d just gone back to bed after my baby daughter had woken up. I’d not been in bed five minutes when I heard a hissing sound. It was quite loud and then there was a massive bang.
“I sleep with my mobile under my pillow so I grabbed it and dialled 999 then I ran into my daughter’s room, got her and closed the door.
“There was a lot of smoke and the smoke alarms were going off. Once they’d stopped I managed to get downstairs with my little girl and wait in the back garden until the police, fire and paramedics came. There were sniffer dogs too. The investigation is still ongoing.”
She added: “I have a curtain behind my front door and I really didn’t know at first if there was a big fire.
“I felt quite sick afterwards and disturbed that someone’s done that.”
The woman said the carpet by her front door had been burnt, as had the curtain behind it and her letterbox.
“I’m still quite frightened that it’s happened,” she said. “I hope by speaking out someone may come forward with information, particularly if they realise there was a baby in the house at the time.”
Police are investigating the attempted arson incident.
Officers were called to the woman’s house in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
If you can help, call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 16:28, Tuesday, 01 July 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)