Dunelm submits plan for homes on abandoned site in Carlisle
Last updated at 12:27, Thursday, 08 May 2014
An abandoned building site may be turned into one of Carlisle’s newest suburban communities, after developers submitted plans for 29 homes.
The Suttle House site at Wigton Road was originally being developed by Border Homes, with a plan to put 41 homes on the land around the dilapidated listed building that gives the location its name.
But that scheme was abandoned following the housing market crash in 2008.
Now Carlisle City Council has received a fresh planning application for the site from Newton Aycliffe based Dunelm Homes, which is part of the ESH Group.
As well as building the 29 detached four-bedroom homes, the scheme would demolish Suttle House and replace it with a new version, with its facade designed to replicate the original building.
It would ultimately contain six flats, and would remain the site’s focal point.
In their application, Dunelm Homes says the work previously done in readiness for new terraced town houses at the site would have to be removed to make way for the revised development.
The firm’s design statement says: “The new application seeks to vary the site layout with detached family homes which will better suit the current market demand...
“All the houses in the development have minimum of two parking spaces over and above a garage. This should ensure the character of the site is not lost due to overspill parking on the carriageway.”
The development is just the latest in a series of proposed new housing schemes which have come before city planners in Carlisle recently.
Only last week, housebuilder Persimmon revealed plans for a 300-home development on farmland at the north eastern fringe of Stanwix.
Carlisle Conservative MP John Stevenson said such developments were vital for the future financial prospects of Carlisle.
Persimmon also wants to build a further 176 homes at Carleton, on land south of Cumwhinton Road.
Work is already underway on a huge new housing development at Crindledyke, north of the city, where more than 850 homes are being built by Story Homes.
First published at 12:19, Thursday, 08 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
I'm all for development and moving forward, change is good. However, there's a lot of eyesore landscapes and derelict buildings in Carlisle (lower viaduct, durranhill, Plaza etc) that should be developed before building out into our countryside. Give it 10 years and Dalston will just be another estate on the outskirts of Carlisle the way Morton is now.
housepricecrash - exactly. People should just refuse to pay these ridiculous prices.
View all 34 comments on this article