Wednesday, 25 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Dryers warning after Cumbrian house blaze

A warning over the potential hazards of tumble dryers has been issued following a house fire.

Mill Hill photo
Mill Hill, Cleator Moor

It is likely a dryer caused a kitchen blaze at Mill Hill, Cleator Moor.

One man in the house suffered smoke inhalation, but wasn’t taken to hospital.

Two appliances from Whitehaven were called to the fire at Mill Hill on Wednesday at 8pm. It is believed the tumble dryer caught fire spreading to a nearby boiler and cupboard.

One hose reel and four breathing apparatus were used at the scene.

A thermal image camera was also used to check for potential ‘hot spots’.

The blaze was the latest in a “spate’’ of domestic fires believed to have caused by tumble dryers.

Whitehaven watch manager Mark Smith, who attended the Mill Hill scene, said he had recently been called to several fires believed to have been started by dryers.

“Tumble dryers are a common cause of domestic fires which is why we advise people not to leave them running overnight or while they are out of the house,’’ he explained.

The appliances become hot very quickly, which can be exacerbated by clothing left on top of the machine.

“We advise tumble dryers are regularly checked,’’ watch manager Smith said.

The crew returned to Whitehaven station at 8.50pm.


News & Star What's On search


What do you think of rail services in Cumbria?

Good. But there is always room for improvement

Not good: There needs to be much more investment

I rarely travel by rail

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: