Dryers warning after Cumbrian house blaze
Last updated at 09:40, Saturday, 07 April 2012
A warning over the potential hazards of tumble dryers has been issued following a house fire.
It is likely a dryer caused a kitchen blaze at Mill Hill, Cleator Moor.
One man in the house suffered smoke inhalation, but wasn’t taken to hospital.
Two appliances from Whitehaven were called to the fire at Mill Hill on Wednesday at 8pm. It is believed the tumble dryer caught fire spreading to a nearby boiler and cupboard.
One hose reel and four breathing apparatus were used at the scene.
A thermal image camera was also used to check for potential ‘hot spots’.
The blaze was the latest in a “spate’’ of domestic fires believed to have caused by tumble dryers.
Whitehaven watch manager Mark Smith, who attended the Mill Hill scene, said he had recently been called to several fires believed to have been started by dryers.
“Tumble dryers are a common cause of domestic fires which is why we advise people not to leave them running overnight or while they are out of the house,’’ he explained.
The appliances become hot very quickly, which can be exacerbated by clothing left on top of the machine.
“We advise tumble dryers are regularly checked,’’ watch manager Smith said.
The crew returned to Whitehaven station at 8.50pm.
First published at 08:58, Saturday, 07 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|