Drunken robber attacked elderly man and stole cash to buy snack
Last updated at 18:24, Saturday, 07 June 2014
A man has been jailed for more than two years after stealing money which he used to buy a 69p snack.
David Ryan Harris, 22, of Skiddaw Crescent, in Distington, was sentenced at Carlisle Crown Court having previously admitted robbery.
On January 28 this year, Harris broke into the property of an elderly man and stole £40.
The defendant – who was extremely drunk at the time – entered the house and crawled up the stairs.
The victim heard a noise and went to investigate, where he was confronted by Harris.
Harris demanded money before assaulting the man and stealing £40.
The police were called and launched a thorough search of the area.
Harris was found almost immediately in a nearby shop; he had just bought a packet of “dunkable cheese portions” worth just 69p. It was the only thing he bought before he was arrested.
Harris admitted robbery and was sentenced to 27 months imprisonment.
Detective Constable Jonathan Lowden, from Cumbria Police, said: “The victim was left with minor injuries after this ordeal and we emphasise the importance of ensuring your property is secure at all times.
“If you are in a part of the house where you would be unable to hear a front or back door opening, or even someone climbing through a window, then please make sure they are locked.
“Harris has been brought to justice for his crime.”
First published at 18:23, Saturday, 07 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|