Drunken man launched violent attacks at birthday party
Last updated at 11:24, Thursday, 08 May 2014
A young man who attacked two people after drinking too much at a 50th birthday party has been given a suspended jail sentence.
At Carlisle Crown Court, Gordon Maudling, 23, of Dalegarth Avenue, Whitehaven, admitted two counts of assault causing his victims’ actual bodily harm.
Prosecutor David Polglase outlined how, for no good reason during the party at Egremont’s Falcon Club, Maudling first punched one man and then headbutted another in a smoking shelter.
Defence barrister Greg Hoare said Maudling had changed for the better since the offence.
The birth of his son had brought home to him how important it was to stop drinking and stay out of trouble.
Passing sentence, judge Barbara Forrester told Maudling: “The behaviour you exhibited on the night of this party, where you committed two assaults, was the type of behaviour that spoils parties for everyone else.
“It seems clear that you had had too much to drink and you were unable to control your behaviour and two people suffered because of that.”
Noting that Maudling was in court in 2011 for a similar offence, she imposed a 16-month jail term suspended for two years, with 12 months Probation Service supervision.
He must also pay £500 towards the prosecution costs and attend a thinking skills course.
First published at 11:20, Thursday, 08 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)