Drunken Carlisle driver led police on high-speed chase
Last updated at 11:55, Saturday, 12 January 2013
A drunken driver who led police on a hair-raising, high-speed chase after taking a friend’s car in the night has been jailed for 12 months.
Edward Heatley, 25, of Borland Avenue, Botcherby, Carlisle, was also banned from driving for two and a half years when he appeared before a judge at Carlisle Crown Court.
Prosecuting counsel Mark Lamberty told the court the incident happened on November 23 last year, a month after Heatley had been banned from the road after taking his mother’s car without permission and driving it dangerously in another police chase.
He said Heatley went to visit a friend and took her car keys. She got to the window just in time to see her car disappearing “erratically” up the road.
The woman called the police and they chased him for two miles at up to 80mph after spotting him in London Road, he said.
When caught he was found to be nearly three times the drink-drive limit. Heatley pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicle taking, dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and driving with excess alcohol.
First published at 11:36, Saturday, 12 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|