Drunken Carlisle driver led police on high-speed chase
Last updated at 11:55, Saturday, 12 January 2013
A drunken driver who led police on a hair-raising, high-speed chase after taking a friend’s car in the night has been jailed for 12 months.
Edward Heatley, 25, of Borland Avenue, Botcherby, Carlisle, was also banned from driving for two and a half years when he appeared before a judge at Carlisle Crown Court.
Prosecuting counsel Mark Lamberty told the court the incident happened on November 23 last year, a month after Heatley had been banned from the road after taking his mother’s car without permission and driving it dangerously in another police chase.
He said Heatley went to visit a friend and took her car keys. She got to the window just in time to see her car disappearing “erratically” up the road.
The woman called the police and they chased him for two miles at up to 80mph after spotting him in London Road, he said.
When caught he was found to be nearly three times the drink-drive limit. Heatley pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicle taking, dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and driving with excess alcohol.
First published at 11:36, Saturday, 12 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)