Drunken Carlisle driver led police on high-speed chase
Last updated at 11:55, Saturday, 12 January 2013
A drunken driver who led police on a hair-raising, high-speed chase after taking a friend’s car in the night has been jailed for 12 months.
Edward Heatley, 25, of Borland Avenue, Botcherby, Carlisle, was also banned from driving for two and a half years when he appeared before a judge at Carlisle Crown Court.
Prosecuting counsel Mark Lamberty told the court the incident happened on November 23 last year, a month after Heatley had been banned from the road after taking his mother’s car without permission and driving it dangerously in another police chase.
He said Heatley went to visit a friend and took her car keys. She got to the window just in time to see her car disappearing “erratically” up the road.
The woman called the police and they chased him for two miles at up to 80mph after spotting him in London Road, he said.
When caught he was found to be nearly three times the drink-drive limit. Heatley pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicle taking, dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and driving with excess alcohol.
First published at 11:36, Saturday, 12 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian bride wins wedding dress battle after death of fiance (2 comments)
- Grey squirrel cull plan in Cumbria
- Drop in pupils offered first choice secondary places in Cumbria (1 comment)
- Barriers going up to keep travellers off Carlisle park
- Carlisle bucks national shopping trend (7 comments)
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (69 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (5 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (31 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|