Drugs man caught on Carlisle street with ecstasy worth £1,750
Last updated at 17:57, Saturday, 11 January 2014
A man caught with almost £2,000 worth of ecstasy in Carlisle has been jailed for more than three years.
Patrick White was caught with the drugs on Myddleton Street, off Aglionby Street, in November after a police officer on patrol noticed him walking down the street.
“White seemed to be trying to shield a black carrier bag,” Gerard Rogerson, prosecuting, told the court.
White ran away when he was told he would be searched for drugs.
The officer caught White at nearby South Henry Street, where he carried out the search.
The bag contained 175 MDMA tablets which were worth a total of £1,750.
The bag also contained £6,800 in bank notes, a bag of cocaine for White’s personal use, and 195 caffeine tablets.
Police later examined his mobile phone and found text messages discussing drug deals.
White, 22, of Droylsden, Manchester, pleaded guilty to charges of possession with intent to supply the MDMA and possession of cocaine.
Alison Whalley, defending, told the court White had been a long-term user of hard drugs and had had a £300 a day habit. He had racked up debts, which forced him into dealing.
She added: “He has now been caught and is relieved. In custody he has detoxed and is now drug free.”
Ms Whalley said White as due to become a father in April
Judge Barbara Forrester, presiding, sentenced White to 40 months in prison for the MDMA charge and to six months imprisonment for the cocaine charge, to run concurrently. He will also pay a £120 surcharge.
First published at 17:54, Saturday, 11 January 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbria police ‘fill in’ for other services, says new chief constable
- Cumbria police seize 160 cars from uninsured drivers
- Samaritans branch facing closure unless volunteers come forward (8 comments)
- Google erases link to News & Star article under ‘right to be forgotten’ (30 comments)
- Jessie J rocks Carlisle (2 comments)
- Thousands enjoy sunshine and then dance in rain at Maryport blues (3 comments)
- Lidl wants to build its largest UK store in west Cumbria (57 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre could be knocked down (89 comments)
- Carlisle pub with 'no long-term future' shut down (24 comments)
Court & crime
- Represent us on parking charges
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (1 comment)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- Glass half full or half empty? (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|