Drug dealer had names of customers stored in his mobile, Carlisle court told
Last updated at 16:15, Tuesday, 22 January 2013
A 35-year-old man caught with £12,000-worth of drugs had the names of 80 customers logged in his mobile phone.
Kevin Bennett was owed another £25,000 by his clients, Carlisle Crown Court heard, when the names were discovered by police.
He was arrested on June 17 last year after being found with 600 grams of methylmethcathinone, a “designer” stimulant which is prohibited as a class B drug.
Police later found on his mobile phone the names of more than 80 “customers”, who between them had outstanding debts of £25,000.
Bennett, of Meadow View, Whitehaven, pleaded guilty to possessing the drug – also known as mephedrone – with intent to supply it.
He denied possessing cannabis and amphetamine – both class B drugs – with intent to supply them but pleaded guilty to possessing them for his own use.
Prosecutor Gerard Rogerson accepted these pleas, saying it was obvious that methylmethcathinone was the drug that Bennett would have sold most of.
“We say he was a street-level dealer for commercial gain,” he said. “He had a list of people involved.”
Bennett will be sentenced on February 18 after a judge has heard evidence to show how deeply involved in drug dealing he was.
He was remanded on bail for background reports on condition that he abides by a curfew to keep him indoors at his home every night from 7pm to 7am, and that he reports to Whitehaven police station three times a week.
First published at 16:14, Tuesday, 22 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)