Driver's lucky escape after yobs drop brick from Carlisle bridge
Published at 08:57, Friday, 16 August 2013
Yobs who dropped a brick from a bridge onto a car causing it to crash are being hunted by police.
Officers have urged anyone with information about the incident on Carlisle's western 'bypass' to come forward.
Keiran Farrer was between Orton Road and Moorhouse Road and driving towards the city when he saw three boys standing on the bridge.
Seconds later, the brick smashed through the passenger side of his windscreen.
Mr Farrer, of Great Orton, slammed on his brakes but slid towards an oncoming vehicle. In a bid to avoid it, he oversteered and crashed into a safety barrier under the bridge.
He got out of the car and saw the boys running off before calling the police and for an ambulance.
The 34-year-old was taken to the city's Cumberland Infirmary where he was told he had broken a rib.
He is now off work. His car, a Vauxhall Vectra, received extensive damage in the collision.
Police are investigating and urged anyone who was in the area around the A689 at about 8.50pm on Wednesday to contact them on 101.
Sergeant Jack Carruthers said: “The behaviour of the unknown offenders is unacceptable.
"This incident could have caused serious injury or worse to the driver of the car.
“We are appealing to members of the public who may have seen the incident to assist with our investigation,” he added.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)