Driver arrested after crash closes main road in north Cumbria
Last updated at 12:42, Friday, 11 January 2013
A lorry driver has been arrested following a five-vehicle crash which closed part of the main A66 this morning.
The road was closed between Appleby and Brough, near to Warcop, while emergency services dealt with what police described as a serious collision.
The smash occurred at roadworks at Sandford, near Appleby, at about 7.20am.
It involved a car transporter, a silver Fiat Doblo car, a white Mercedes Sprinter van, a red Vauxhall Insignia car and a Volvo articulated wagon.
Police say the Volvo, which was travelling east, collided with the side of the transporter, which was travelling west, before colliding with the rear of the Fiat, Mercedes and Vauxhall.
The male driver of the Fiat received serious injuries and was taken to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle.
The Volvo driver, a Polish man aged 49, was arrested at the scene on suspicion of dangerous driving and taken to Carlisle police station.
Police, fire and ambulance services and highways officials were all called to the incident.
The road was closed for about four hours while recovery and collision investigation work took place.
Local traffic was diverted via minor roads and large vehicles were urged to take alternative routes due to weight restrictions on the A685 at Kirkby Stephen.
First published at 09:04, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)