Don't fret - Maryport blues festival headliner loses guitar
Last updated at 11:33, Saturday, 26 July 2014
Maryport Blues Festival got off to a tense start when headliner Eric Sardinas lost his guitar.
But playing on a borrowed instrument, the slide guitarist wowed an audience of more than 500 with his technique.
Talking before the show, he said the day had been stressful, but in the end it was the music that mattered.
And he said using a borrowed guitar was just another challenge – proving his point with a performance that had the crowd roaring their delight.
New Mexican Ryan McGarvey and his band opened the festival with a virtuoso performance that must ensure an invitation to future events. The Scottish Nimmo Brothers were second on the bill and delighted the audience with a mix of true blues and blues rock.
The festival – one of the landmark dates on Cumbria’s music calendar, attracting fans from all over the country – continues today and tomorrow. It will feature artists including Coco Montoya and Danny Bryant as well as the two outdoor stages.
There are also pub, club and cafe trails which include artists such as Soul City Walkers and Thunder's Luke Morley with WC Handy Blues winner Peter Shoulder appearing as The Union.
First published at 11:18, Saturday, 26 July 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|